Nafplio is a small city in Greece and about 2 hours drive from the country’s capital, Athens. It is gorgeous, seaside, small city with huge history, located at Peloponissos. Today, I want to talk you about it and suggest places to visit and things you can do.
A few Historical Facts
- Nafplio was the first ever capital of Greece
- It has 15,000 people
- Kapodistrias, one of Greece’s most important people, was murdered there outside St. Spyridonas church.
- The city had been conquered by the Venitians and it has such influences. Lots of Italians live there, too.
The best places to stay are Amphytrion Hotel and Nafplia Palace. They offer excellent service, unique views of the city, luxurious rooms and good value for money rates. Nafplia Palace is one of the most historic hotels of the city.
Places to Visit/ Things to Do
- Palamidi which is a castle on the highest top of Nafplio
- Archaeological Museum: there are so many gerat things you see there and information you can learn about the history of Nafplio and the surrounded areas
- Take a day trip to Mycenes, one of Ancient Greece’s most important city
- Shop at Sandalopoiio and Amarante. You can also find these online but you definitely have to visit the stores, too. The first shop, makes handmade, leather sandals in a good variety of colours and shapes and the second one is an Italian brand which is very exclusive worldwide and it has handmade accessories, jewellery, some natural products and AMAZING perfumes. You can’t live Nafplio without getting a perfume from that shop. They produce their own perfumes from flowers they grow themselves!
- Eat ice cream at “the Italian”. This is not the name of the store but everyone knows this place in Greece as “the Italian”. The guy really is from Italy, and more specifically Rome, as I found out when I talked with him. He left Rome for Nafplio 15 years ago.
- Take walks around acronafplia. The nature is unique and the views are just breathtaking.
Have you ever visited Nafplion? If not, it is definitely worth it and you should do it without any second thoughts. Below you can find pictures of this breathtaking place some of which I have taken myself without using any filters as well as others I found online. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this article. Please subscribe to my blog and follow my social media profiles on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram. Until Friday, have a great day and I’ll talk to you soon.